Termites in Indiana
PREVENT TERMITES FROM WREAKING HAVOC ON THE HOME
Franklin Pest Solutions shares termite prevention tips for homeowners
Photo courtesy Ricky Kluge
Are you Prepared?
Believe it or not, spring is just around the corner and as temperatures slowly begin to increase across the country, so will the potential for termite swarms. Franklin Pest Solutions encourages homeowners to take proactive steps to protect their homes from this aggressive pest species in the coming months.
“Termites eat wood around the clock, so they can cause significant damage to the structure of a home in a relatively short period of time,” said David Sloop, Branch Manager at Franklin Pest Solutions Michigan City. “As a result, it’s important for homeowners to perform yearly inspections and routine maintenance to help stave off a potential termite infestation.”
There are many steps homeowners can take to protect their greatest investments from termites. Experts at the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) recommend the following tips:
- Carefully inspect the perimeter of the home for termite mud tubes (used by termites to reach a food source), cracked or bubbling paint and rotting wood.
Example of what termite tubing looks like
- Repair fascia, soffits and rotted roof shingles. Some termites are drawn to deteriorating wood.
- Keep basements, attics and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
- Maintain a one-inch gap between soil and wood portions of the home.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house and 5 inches up off the ground, and inspect it closely before bringing it indoors.
Termite nymphs look like maggots at first glance.
- Divert water away from the property through properly functioning downspouts, gutters and splash blocks.
Some Advice on Termites
“Termite damage is usually not covered by homeowners’ insurance policies, so if an infestation is suspected, homeowners should contact a licensed pest control professional in a timely fashion,” added Sloop. “A pest professional will be able to properly identify the termite species and recommend an appropriate course of action.”
What do termites look like?
Subterranean termites in Indiana have multiple life stages and sometimes look very similar to ants. Let’s compare.
Termites vs Ants
In your efforts to properly identify whether you have ants or termites in your home or on your property, if you start to doubt your judgment, just put your specimen in a sealed bag (be careful not to crush it!) and bring it to us! We’ll identify your bug for free and give you some peace of mind about treatment options.
There are two major physical differences when comparing termite vs ant.
- Wings: Termites have two sets of wings that are all equal in size. Ants have two sets, but the wings in the front are longer than the wings in the back.
- Body segments: Termites have two body segments with a thick waist. Ants have three body parts with a super skinny waist.
These are swarming ants
These are swarming termites
This is a swarm of ants
If any of those images look like something you have in or around your house, there’s no better time to contact us. With all pests, the sooner you discover a pest problem and act on it, the more successful the control will be. For termite control, Franklin Pest Control has some options for you.
Conventional Termite Control Indiana
Pest control products have come a long way over the years. They’re more environmentally responsible, labelled for controlling specific pests, and most legit products are only accessible by licensed professionals. There’s a specific liquid product that is a champion termite killer. It’s called Termidor. And we know how to use it! The conventional termite treatment method involves careful measurements of your property perimeter, evaluation of infestation level, and a product injection that lasts about ten years.
Green termite control
The Sentricon® Termite Colony Elimination System is a completely green termite control solution. Franklin Pest Solutions offers this system for complete infestation elimination as well as 24/7 peace of mind for prevention protection.
Benefits of Sentricon®
- Proven colony elimination
- Easy to live with
- Environmentally responsible
- The best termite professionals
- Manufacturer commitment
Don’t wait until an infestation happens. Call us for an inspection today!