As Termite Awareness Week draws to a close, we’re finally going to talk about what most of you will consider the two most important parts: Termite Control and Termite Prevention. Before you head down to investigate all that though, we recommend checking out This is Termite Week and Termite Awareness Week: Inspection and Information (Part 2) which were published earlier in the week.
Termite Control–aka Termite Treatment–centers on preventative and curative solutions that deal with current and future termite problems. Here at Franklin we use the two most common options: Sentricon (a green, chemical-free bait system) and Termidor (a conventional liquid termite treatment).
Sentricon: A completely green, chemical-free baiting system developed by Dow Agro Science’s and a proven colony elimination system.
Termidor: Used by certified pest professionals like Franklin for decades, Termidor is America’s #1 conventional termite treatment.
Termite Awareness Week is promoted by our friend’s at the National Pest Management Association (NPMA), so let’s start with termite prevention tips from the NPMA and Professional Pest Management Alliance (PPMA):
- Divert water away from your home’s foundation by installing properly functioning downspouts, gutters and splash blocks.
- Reduce humidity in crawl spaces with proper ventilation.
- Trim vines, hedges and other vegetation to prevent them from blocking vents.
- Remove old form boards, grade stakes, tree trunks and roots near a building, as they may attract termites.
- Maintain an 18-inch gap between soil and any wood portions of your home.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house and 5 inches off the ground. Check it for pests before bringing it indoors.
- Routinely inspect the foundation of your home for signs of termite damage.
Everyone’s favorite pest professor and Chief Entomologist for the NPMA, Dr. Jim Fredericks, is back with another Ask the Pest Professor video about Termite Prevention:
Contact us with one of the buttons below for more information to set up one of our Termite Services!
Stay tuned to the Franklin Northwest Indiana Pest Control Blog for all kinds of helpful updates and information about pests. And sign up for email updates to the right!