How to Keep Pantry Pests Out
The changing of the season is always a perfect time to do some thorough house cleaning. Take inventory of what items in your home are no longer of use and what needs to be replaced or repaired. From holes in window screens to large cracks under doorways, it can be easy to miss pest hot spots. Our cabinets and pantries most definitely could use a deep cleaning before holiday baking begins. Franklin Pest Solutions reminds you to follow some best practices in the kitchen to prevent pantry pests from invading.
What is a Pantry Pest?
Pantry pests are a range of insects that commonly make their way into your stored food items. As people dig out the flour, spices, nuts and other dried goods from the pantry that haven’t been used in quite some time, it’s important to thoroughly inspect the items for signs of a pantry pest infestation. Discard anything that appears damaged or infested. Click on the name of the pest below to learn more about them.
|Confused Flour Beetle||Indian Meal Moth||Weevil|
6 Tips to Prevent a Pantry Pest Problem
- Check food items at store before purchasing to make sure there are no holes or tears in packaging. Sift through items before using at home.
- Keep pantry items stored in sealed air-tight containers.
- Use hot, soapy water to wash out cabinets, wipe crumbs from from counters.
- Sweep crumbs up from the floor and wash the floor with hot, soapy water.
- Pull the stove away from the wall and vacuum out any crumbs or debris that may have fallen down there.
- Look for cracks and holes around pantry and seal them using steel wool or silicone.
A Solution to Your Pesky Problems
While the pantry pests will mostly cause annoyance, certain species, such as flour beetles and Indian Meal Moths have the power to cause illness by contaminating food and spreading harmful bacteria. Protect your health by keeping your kitchen clean. Sanitation goes a long way to ward off pests of all types. Having trouble finding the source of pests? That where we come in! Our Healthy Home Maintenance Program (HHMP) protects you all year ’round from all the pests we mentioned above and all the pests listed below. Peace of mind is just a call or click away!