May: Allergy Awareness Month
Spring allergies are one more airborne thing trying to attack us right now. One would think that spending less time outdoors would reduce your coughing and sneezing, but that’s not the case if the reason for your reaction lies in your walls. Pests like cockroaches and mice can cause allergy and asthma reactions through contact or elongated exposure. May is allergy awareness month and Franklin Pest Solutions wants homeowners to know how to reduce exposure to health threats inside and around your home. Keeping a clean living space helps to not only deter pests but also makes finding pests and entry points less complicated.
63% of American homes contain allergens from cockroaches by means of saliva, shed skin, or fecal waste.
If you’re concerned that your symptoms are the product of pests follow these tips from the National Pest Management Association:
9 Steps to Keep Pests Out
- Seal cracks and crevices around the home with caulk, steel wool, or both, paying attention to areas where utilities and pipes enter the structure.
- Remove areas of standing water such as baby pools and birdbaths around the property, as they offer ideal breeding ground for mosquitoes.
- Dispose of garbage regularly in a sealed bin and store dry foods in an airtight container.
- Dust hard surfaces with a damp cloth or dust rag and vacuum at leas once a week using a vacuum with a HEPA (high-efficiency particulate) filter.
- Clean kitchen surfaces daily, including counters, stove tops and sinks. Avoid piing dishes in the sink and clean up crumbs and spills right away to avoid attracting ants.
- Keep pet food stored away in an airtight container and wash food and water bowls often.
- Wear long sleeves an pants when spending time outdoors to reduce exposure to ticks and mosquitoes.
- Apply insect repellent containing at least 20 percent DEET, picaridin, or oil of lemon eucalyptus.
- Check yourself, family and pets for ticks before going indoors and remove them immediately to decrease the threat disease transmission.
Franklin’s Year ‘Round Solution
For more information about pest allergens or pest control in your yard feel free to reach out: franklinpestsolutions.com. If you are interested in a full coverage a quarterly service, Franklin’s Healthy Home Maintenance Program includes protection against a variety of pests 365 days a year.