PREVENT SUMMER PESTS FROM RUINING OUTDOOR FESTIVITES
Franklin Pest Solutions shares tips on how to keep pests from disrupting picnics or BBQs
They may not be on the guest list, but many pests including ants, flies, mosquitoes and other stinging insects are likely to disrupt outdoor festivities this summer. Franklin Pest Solutions, northwest Indiana’s pest experts, encourages partygoers to take precautions to prevent pests from putting a damper on summer fun.
“There is nothing more bothersome than trying to enjoy a delicious plate of BBQ fare while a buzzing bug is flying around your food,” said Bery Pannkuk, Director of Sales for Franklin Pest Solutions. “Unfortunately, plenty of pests are attracted to our food, so they tend to frequent our outdoor cookouts, but there are ways to prevent these uninvited guests from crashing the party.”
Tips for summer pest prevention from NPMA
The National Pest Management Association, a nonprofit organization committed to the protection of public health, food and property from household pests, offers these tips to help pests from ruining your summer gathering:
- Prior to the party, check screen doors and repair any holes.
- Remove sources of standing water in your yard, including birdbaths, wading pools or garden ponds.
- Have insect repellant containing an EPA-registered active ingredient like DEET or Picaridin available for you and your guests.
- Adorn your deck or patio with citronella candles that can help minimize the presence of mosquitoes.
- With guests coming in and out of your house, make sure the doors close behind them.
- Plan to serve food and beverages indoors, and reserve outdoor space for eating and entertaining.
- Keep food sealed in containers whenever possible, and wipe tabletops frequently.
- Clean trash, spills and crumbs immediately from tables and other surfaces.
- Bring utensils and dishware indoors shortly after the meal.
- Rinse all beverage bottles and cans, and dispose of them in tightly closed garbage containers.
If pests become intolerable, you may have a larger problem and need professional assistance. “Sometimes, pest pressure can get out of hand. For example, if homeowners notice large mounds of ants or stinging insect nests around the property, they’ll want to contact a professional to help them safely remove these infestations as they can be a threat to our safety, “ said Pannkuk.
When pests become health threats
Most of the time, we don’t think of tiny bugs as any threat significant enough to harm us because we’re so much bigger than them. The truth of the matter is, they can do more damage and harm than we realize, especially with an increase in resistance to pesticides. Bee and wasp stings, West Nile Virus, along with hundreds of other insect-born bacterias and diseases are nothing to mess with. Get smart. Be prepared. Protect yourself and your family!
How to prevent West Nile Virus
The CDC offers the following tips for how to prevent West Nile Virus and protect yourself against the increasing threat spread by mosquitoes:
The easiest and best way to avoid WNV is to prevent mosquito bites.
- When you are outdoors, use insect repellent containing an EPA-registered active ingredient. Follow the directions on the package.
- Many mosquitoes are most active at dusk and dawn. Be sure to use insect repellent and wear long sleeves and pants at these times or consider staying indoors during these hours.
- Make sure you have good screens on your windows and doors to keep mosquitoes out.
- Get rid of mosquito breeding sites by emptying standing water from flower pots, buckets and barrels. Change the water in pet dishes and replace the water in bird baths weekly. Drill holes in tire swings so water drains out. Keep children’s wading pools empty and on their sides when they aren’t being used.
Thinking about hiring a mosquito exterminator Indiana?
When is it time to consider professional mosquito control Indiana? Everyone’s pest tolerance is different. But, with West Nile reports through the roof already this year, you may want to look into getting a maintenance service during the next few months so that you don’t have to worry about the possibility of you, your family, or your house-guests contracting one of the scariest viruses out there these days. It’s not as expensive as you think! And it will allow you to focus on more important things in life, like spending time with family and friends!
Home Mosquito Control
Our Home Mosquito Control Program minimizes mosquito populations and reduces the risk of insect born disease. West Nile Virus is very dangerous and poses a deadly risk to humans of all ages. Cases in the Midwest increased dramatically in 2012. Don’t let your family and friends go outdoors unprotected!
We offer two program options to suit your needs:
- A scheduled service every three weeks throughout mosquito season is a worry-free way to get your yard back this year. You don’t even need to be home when we complete this service for you!
- One-time mosquito control treatments are great for outdoor parties, graduations, weddings, company picnics and more.
“Green” products can also be substituted for conventional products for both program options!
When you schedule your initial inspection, we will identify breeding zones, work with you to reduce your risks, and put together a personalized program to meet your needs and concerns. Protect yourself and your family. Don’t let mosquitoes ruin your outdoor fun this year!
For more information or to speak with a pest a professional about common summer pests, please do not hesitate to contact us. A professional is just a call or click away!