Crazy to think it’s already the holiday season again! Decking the halls for seasonal festivities? Before you bring out your holiday decorations, make sure you know the 6 tips of holiday pest-proofing. Stored away and left undisrupted, your decorations may have been home to critters over the last year. As you pull down boxes of ornaments from the attic or dig out bins of wrapping paper from the basement, be on the look out for signs of mice, spiders, and other insects. 🎁🎄🐁🕷🪳
Holiday Pest Proofing Before Festivities
When temperatures drop, pests like cockroaches, spiders, mice and rats look for warm, dry places with ample food to hunker down, making our cozy homes exceedingly attractive. Attics and basements are the most common areas for pests because they’re usually where we don’t spend a whole lot of time when we’re at home. They prefer to be undisturbed until they get hungry and venture into those more frequently used spaces where we spend our time. Pests can spread diseases to humans and pets, and also pose serious property risks to homeowners, making prevention paramount to keeping a healthy home.
6 Key Tips to Pest Proofing This Holiday Season
Avoid pests taking up residence this winter, the pros at Franklin Pest Solutions recommend following these pest-proofing tips from the National Pest Management Association (NPMA):
- Seal cracks and holes on the outside of the home, including where utilities enter.
- Replace loose mortar around the basement foundation and worn weather stripping around windows.
- Screen vents to chimneys and repair damaged screens.
- Maintain well-organized storage areas, placing items in sealed plastic bins off of the floor.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet from the home on a raised cement structure.
- Keep branches and shrubbery trimmed away from the home.
Holidays are about so much more than pest-proofing, so we wanted to include a super yummy, yet on-brand, holiday treat recipe for you to make during the most wonderful time of year with YOUR loved ones!
Happy Pest-Free Holidays!
From our family to yours, we hope you have a wonderful holiday season filled with laughter, smiles, and so much fun! And remember we’re here for you if you encounter any unexpected pest issues this winter! Stay warm!
Your Friends at Franklin Pest Solutions