Enjoy Summer, Keep the Stinging Pests Away
Feeling the heat of the summer sun has never felt better coming out of a long, few, dreary months of quarantining through snow and rain. Unfortunately, while we were stuck inside, the pesky world of pests did not slow down. As you adapt to new summer experiences and enjoying more time from home, Franklin Pest Solutions has some tips to help keep you safe from stinging pests.
Bees, Wasps, and Hornets
So, bees help pollinate our produce but what do wasps do? Check out the video below to learn about the distinct differences and habits between bees, wasps, and hornets. Identifying the pest you’re dealing with is the first step of eviction. Knowing when to call the professional can save you from being one of the 500,000 Americans that visit the Emergency Room after being stung. Enjoy your barbecue without a visit to the hospital.
Prevent Getting Stung
In order to protect yourself and your guests from getting stung in that yard, here are some steps from Franklin Pest Solutions and the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) to help you out:
- Seal cracks and crevices: Seal all visible cracks and crevices to keep stinging insects from moving indoors, and regularly inspect around house’s perimeter for nests.
- Keep food covered: During a picnic or cookout, cover all food when outside and be sure to keep tight-fitting lids on trash bins.
- Drink out of clear containers: Stinging insects can sneak into cans unnoticed, so it’s important to be able to see that a liquid is pest-free before drinking it.
- Avoid excessive use of fragrances: If you plan on spending long periods of time outdoors, skip the perfume or cologne, as yellowjackets and other stinging insects are attracted to sweet-smelling fragrances. When possible, choose unscented shampoos, soaps, lotions and sunscreen.
- Adjust wardrobe: Avoid wearing dark colors and floral prints as these can attract stinging insects. Wear closed-toe shoes, especially in grassy areas where hornets and other pests often nest.
- Remain calm, cool and collected: Do not swat at stinging insects—these movements may actually provoke an attack. Instead, remain calm and slowly walk away from the area. The insect will likely fly away without causing any harm.
Let Us Handle Your Hive
Wasps and hornets like to build their nests in shaded crevices where they won’t be disturbed. As if removing a buzzing hive isn’t enough of a challenge, adding a ladder to the mix increases the risk. Prevent injury by calling professionals. Protect your home from stinging pests and 10+ more common invaders all year with our Healthy Home Maintenance Program (HHMP). Four scheduled visits, once every three months, and any issues between visits is handled free of charge. Our customer service speaks for itself. With Franklin, you’re in good hands.
Give us a call today at 800-GOT-PESTS? to set something up so you can get back to enjoying the weather without summer pests holding you back.
We 💓 Pollinators
One of the ways that Franklin Pest Solutions likes to support the community is by sharing our pollinator love. Did you know that we sponsor the pollinator path and honeybee hives at the Washington Park Zoo? Seeing as how honeybees contribute to the pollination of one third of our food source, we’re happy to provide them with a beautiful home! We also share our passion for pollinators with our nature-loving friends at the Dunes Learning Center, several Park Districts, and museums too! Got an idea for a project we can work on together? Contact us and tell us about it!