Disease-Carrying Mosquitoes Continue to Bite as Summer Draws to a Close
Franklin Pest Solutions encourages home mosquito control Indiana, as well as ongoing vigilance against mosquito-borne diseases
Summer is in its final weeks, but that doesn’t mean mosquitoes will disappear with the arrival of cooler weather. Franklin Pest Solutions Michigan City urges people to remain cautious of mosquitoes, as they are known to flourish well into the fall months, continuing to pose a health risk.
How long will mosquitoes be out this year?
“Although mosquitoes are often associated with the summer heat, they also thrive during the fall season,” said Dave Sloop, Franklin Pest Solutions Michigan City branch manager. “In fact, mosquitoes will remain active until the temperature drops below 60 degrees, which means the threat of mosquito-borne diseases is still a concern in the coming weeks.”
What kind of diseases are being found in mosquitoes this year?
In the United States, mosquitoes are known to spread West Nile virus, eastern equine encephalitis and, in recent months, chikungunya virus. These illnesses do not have specific vaccines or treatments, so prevention of mosquito bites throughout the fall months is crucial.
Which bug spray works the best?
“As the seasons begin to change, it’s still important for people to apply bug spray containing DEET, picaridin or oil of lemon eucalyptus when spending time outdoors. This alone will significantly decrease their chances of getting bitten by an infected mosquito,” added Sloop.
People are just now getting used to putting sunscreen on before going outside after years of warnings about the sun’s UV rays being more and more dangerous as our ozone depletes. There’s no better time than now to start Incorporating bug spray into the routine too; especially if you know you’ll be spending time outdoors where there will be mosquito populations thriving. Maybe there’s a product out there that’s sunscreen and bug spray in one! I haven’t looked… Wouldn’t that be the ultimate solution though?! 😛
How do I prevent getting bitten by mosquitoes?
The National Pest Management Association (NPMA), a nonprofit organization committed to the protection of public health, food and property from household pests, recommends the following tips to avoid exposure to mosquitoes.
- Wear long pants, long-sleeved shirts and closed-toe shoes to protect the skin
- Minimize outside activity between dusk and dawn, when mosquitoes are most active
- Eliminate areas of standing water around the home, such as flowerpots, birdbaths and baby pools. Mosquitoes only need about ½ inch of water to breed
- Screen all windows and doors, repairing even the smallest holes that could serve as entry points for pests
Home Mosquito Control Indiana can afford
I’ve been seeing more and more billboards, coupons, and TV commercials for mosquito control in the last few years. Companies are popping up all over the place that will come spray your yard and house to keep mosquito populations down. Although companies are just catching on with the surge of diseases being carried by mosquitoes, Franklin Pest Solutions has offered mosquito control services for a very long time.
Franklin Pest Solutions’ Mosquito Control Service Perks
- Affordable routine maintenance is offered every three weeks to keep mosquito populations under control on your property
- One-time treatment visits are great for outdoor parties, graduations, weddings, etc.
- You don’t need to be home unless you want to when we complete the service
- Green products can be used in place of EPA-regulated pesticides if requested
- Our technician will identify breeding zones, help you reduce your risks of attracting mosquitoes to your property, and give you tips to further prevent activity
- All work is guaranteed to your satisfaction
What are you waiting for?! Get a free quote! What have you got to lose!?
For other helpful tips on how to enjoy your time outdoors this season, check out these 5 Tips to Enjoy a Pest-Free Yard, too!