The National Pest Management Association advises the public to take precautions as reports of early mosquito season emerge
FAIRFAX Va. – Although the official start of summer is a month away, several regions across the U.S. are issuing reports of an early emergence of mosquitoes. More concerning is that some states are already reporting specimens that are testing positive for West Nile virus (WNV). The National Pest Management Association (NPMA) advises the public that it is not too early to begin protecting themselves, family members and pets from mosquitoes when outdoors.
“Summer is almost here, and with it the season’s most pesky pest – the mosquito. While state agencies will soon be putting their abatement plans in motion, we advise the public to do their part to curb mosquito activity in their own back yards in the hopes of stemming the spread of WNV,” said Missy Henriksen, vice president of public affairs for the NPMA. “Mosquitoes need only about a half-inch of water to breed, so it is important to remove any standing water to help eliminate potential breeding grounds.
Last year, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported 5,387 human cases of WNV, 243 of which were fatal. These numbers reflect one of the biggest outbreaks of the virus ever in the United States and the deadliest year on record
West Nile Virus Indiana
“Of all the mosquito-borne illnesses, WNV is of greatest concern in the United States. In most cases, the virus is a mild infection with similar symptoms to a summer flu. However, in rare cases WNV is a potentially life-threatening infection,” noted Dr. Jorge Parada, medical advisor for the NPMA. “Anyone experiencing symptoms such as high fever, head and body aches, confusion and worsening weakness should seek medical attention.”
As the risk of WNV increases with prolonged periods of hot and dry weather conditions, the NPMA advises homeowners to eliminate all areas of standing water around the outside of the home now and to ensure all windows and doors have screens.
“It won’t happen to me”
No one ever thinks it will happen to them. Maybe it’s because they think the odds are so rare. Or maybe they aren’t in the habit of applying bug repellent when they spend time outdoors, but the truth of the matter is, mosquitoes are not picky. They know you’re a tasty treat. And with reports of WNV increasing every year, seemingly, there’s a good chance they’re carrying this or other insect-borne diseases. Don’t wait until it’s too late and your child or pet is showing symptoms. Be responsible. Be proactive.
The easiest and best way to avoid WNV is to prevent mosquito bites.
- When you are outdoors, use insect repellent containing an EPA-registered active ingredient. Follow the directions on the package.
- Many mosquitoes are most active at dusk and dawn. Be sure to use insect repellent and wear long sleeves and pants at these times or consider staying indoors during these hours.
- Make sure you have good screens on your windows and doors to keep mosquitoes out.
- Get rid of mosquito breeding sites by emptying standing water from flower pots, buckets and barrels. Change the water in pet dishes and replace the water in bird baths weekly. Drill holes in tire swings so water drains out. Keep children’s wading pools empty and on their sides when they aren’t being used.
Home Mosquito Control Indiana
Aside from wearing protective clothing and insect repellent while you’re outside this summer, it may behoove you to look into our home mosquito control services. It’s one more way to keep you and your loved ones safe from the threats of summer pests that carry diseases. And it’s not as expensive as you may think!!
Home Mosquito Control Service Benefits
Our home mosquito control services come with two options.
- Every three weeks, a scheduled service throughout the season provides continuous protection.
- One-time treatments prior to family events or gatherings done within 24-72 hours of the event maximizes effectiveness.
No matter which option you choose, our service offers:
- Free estimates
- Flexible scheduling while you’re home or away from home
- Inspection to identify mosquito breeding areas
- Suggestions to prevent attraction and breeding sites
- All work is guaranteed. If you aren’t fully satisfied, we’ll retreat for free.
- Green products are available
Our home mosquito control program minimizes mosquito populations and reduces the risk of insect borne diseases. West Nile Virus is very dangerous and poses a deadly risk to humans of all ages. For your convenience, you don’t even need to be home when we complete the service for you!
Choosing the every three week program is a worry free way to get your yard back this summer. One-time mosquito control treatments are great for outdoor parties, barbecues, graduations, weddings, company picnics and more. “Green” botanical products can be substituted for conventional products on both of these program options.
Your satisfaction is not just our goal, it’s our job! When you schedule your initial inspection, we will identify breeding zones, work with you to reduce your risks, and put together a personalized program to meet your needs and concerns. Protect yourself and your family! Don’t let mosquitoes ruin your outdoor fun this year!
The NPMA, a non-profit organization with more than 7,000 members, was established in 1933 to support the pest management industry’s commitment to the protection of public health, food and property. For more information, visit PestWorld.org.