RODENTS POSE HEALTH AND PROPERTY RISKS DURING WINTER MONTHS
Franklin Pest Solutions warns homeowners of rodent-related threats
It’s already a challenge to avoid the flu and stay healthy during the winter months. However, homeowners may be faced with a host of other potential health concerns – all caused by rodent infestations. Franklin Pest Solutions, pest control Hammond, IN and pest control Michigan City, warns that mice and rats can pose serious health and property risks once inside the home.
The accumulation of rodent feces can spread bacteria, trigger allergic reactions in humans and cause diseases such as salmonella and Hantavirus. Rodents also gnaw through electrical wiring, in some cases sparking house fires.
“The National Pest Management Association (NPMA) reports that rodents invade an estimated 21 million homes in the United States every winter, threatening the health of families and damaging property through their gnawing and nesting habits,” said Wayne Magnuson, Branch Manager for Franklin Pest Solutions Hammond, IN. “Moreover, these pests can enter a structure through very small openings, making it easy for them to find a way indoors and quickly cause a full-blown infestation.”
The best way to get rid of mice is to prevent them from ever entering. The NPMA encourages homeowners to be on the lookout for common signs of rodent infestations including:
- Droppings. Typically left behind in kitchen cabinets and pantries, along walls, on top of wall studs or beams, near nests, and in boxes, bags, old furniture and other objects.
- Noises. Rodents often make scurrying sounds most often at night as they move about and nest.
- Gnaw marks. New gnawings tend to be rough to the touch and are light colored.
- Tracks/footprints. These along with tail marks are easily found in areas where the rodents travel.
- Burrows. Inside, rodents often nest in various materials such as insulation, and they prefer nesting areas that are dark and secluded.
- Damaged food packages. Mice prefer seeds or cereals while Norway rats prefer meat, fish and dry dog food.
“If a rodent infestation is suspected, it’s important to contact a licensed pest professional to treat the problem rather than trying to handle it on your own. Because if you see just one, it’s likely there are many more,” added Magnuson.
This video will show you how easily mice can access the warm, cozy interior of your home…where they DON’T belong!
How to keep mice out of the house
“What’s the trick?”
“Do those sonic plug in things really work?”
“I hear they don’t like moth balls.”
Stop wasting your money and get your house back! Trust us, we know mice. Franklin Pest Solutions, the oldest and most experienced rodent exterminators northwest Indiana, has been defending homes and properties against rodents and other pests since the Great Depression. True experts, Franklin Pest has multiple methods and solutions to fit your individual needs and rodent situation. And we can help you prevent mice from getting in the house in the first place.
Healthy Home Maintenance Programs
We’ve created a three-tier program to make pest control easier for our customers. It’s divided by pest coverage. Which one is right for you?
- Basic: Crawling insect control
- Gold: Crawling insect + rodent control
- Platinum: Crawling insect control, rodent control, flying & stinging insect control
- Plus: Your HHMP plus Your termite control of choice (we have two termite control options too)